Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteSomeone should have checked this one out

Someone should have checked this one out

NOTHING upsets me more than getting something wrong in an article or a name wrong in a photograph caption because it is there for all to see and reflects on my professionalism.
And incorrect information can impact adversely on people.
When it happens it is mostly because I haven’t checked enough, was tired, or forgot to fix it.
But it is embarrassing.
There is an old saying that we all make mistakes, but we have a process and in truth most mistakes I have made shouldn’t have been made.
Likewise, for the City of Casey’s error on its rate notice, whatever the reason.
But I feel for the person responsible, whoever it might be.
Councils also have a process in their accounting systems of checks and balances, so why did Casey get its current rate assessment wrong?
Casey mayor Kevin Bradford has apologised to ratepayers for what he said was a calculation mistake that resulted in an average $10 overcharge on ratepayers.
But the Gazette last week said on Page 9 that it was believed the mistake came from a communication breakdown.
Casey acting chief executive Steve Dalton this week confirmed that theory.
The council spent more than six months working on its budget and decided to strike a rate amounting to an overall 7.9 per cent increase on the previous year.
From memory, I think it was the mayor who moved at the last minute to have this reduced to a 6.8 per cent increase, but the message didn’t filter through to people at the coalface.
Ironically, Casey ratepayers are probably being undercharged because of this lastminute reduction that came on the run without much thought beyond ‘we might lose less votes’.
It was managed by deferring planned infrastructure.
Two Casey councillors, Four Oaks Ward’s Paul Richardson and Mayfield Ward’s Steve Beardon, have for the last two or three years attacked their own council over what they claimed to be money wastage and secrecy over the council’s bookkeeping.
We had talk from Cr Richardson of suggestions made that the mayor should resign over this, and Springfield Ward councillor Michael Farley was reported as calling for the chief executive Mike Tyler to be sacked.
But, I don’t believe either should have to resign over the issue.
Let’s face it, the mistake was made because the full council voted to mess around with the figures at the last minute, so why not sack everyone?
Not just those you don’t like.
Nevertheless, you can talk all you want about mistakes and computers, and say things like we all make mistakes, but I can’t understand why there were not several checks on the process before the rate notices were printed.
Wouldn’t you think that with two hostile councillors watching for the slightest slip they would have been doubly careful?
Officers responsible for this error have handed those councillors a truckload of ammunition to use in their continual attacks.
The mistake was found by an internal review and this is encouraging, but why wasn’t the review conducted before the notices were printed?
How could senior officers let this happen?
Of all the councils in Victoria, and of all the times for something like this, Casey is the last council that should have allowed it.
This is an embarrassing mess for the council, in toto, and will be a source of joy to its critics.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

First day of Yakkerboo delights crowds

The Yakkerboo Festival kicked off in perfect weather on Saturday with fireworks the main highlight of the day. Food trucks, roaming performers, live music and...
More News

Roadworks cause havoc for Casey commuters

Roadworks on a major Clyde North intersection has caused gridlock during peak hours for many Casey commuters, some saying that their typical 10-minute commute...

State Government promises new emergency facilities for Casey Hospital

With the official plans for the expansion of Casey’s emergency department debuted, the state government is progressing on its $280 million project, with Icon...

Aged care security breached

Millhaven Lodge, a residential aged care facility in Pakenham, has updated security codes and restricted access points after a series of breaches that compromised...

Garlic Festival showcase

The South Gippsland Garlic Festival - Victoria’s biggest celebration of Australian garlic - is back for its second year at Korumburra Showgrounds on Saturday...

Parks Victoria launches major statewide recruitment drive

The search is on for Victoria's next generation of rangers, with outdoor enthusiasts encouraged to apply for one of 62 new roles across the...

2026 duck season bag limit

The Victorian Government has set a daily bag limit of nine ducks per hunter for the 2026 duck hunting season. The season length, as set...

Volunteers transform historic grounds

Around 30 volunteers rolled up their sleeves on Wednesday, 28 January, for the 61st Annual Berwick Cemetery Clean Up. Rotarians, Berwick and Harkaway Cemetery...

Calls for more foster parents as crisis mounts in Victoria

Lynn, a Casey local, stumbled on a television commercial about foster care at 65 years old, peaking her interest, the Tongan-born mother of five,...

Children’s ‘innocent’ ribbons and signs vandalised at Berwick Springs Lake

Ribbons made by children at Berwick Springs Lake, now named Guru Nanak Lake, were vandalised earlier this year promoting disappointment from a community group. Children’s ribbons...

Fourth attack in weeks rocks Heritage Church

Still reeling from earlier vandalism and attempted break-ins, Lang Lang’s St John’s Anglican Church has been hit for a fourth time, despite increased patrols. It...