Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteGate case open, but not yet shut

Gate case open, but not yet shut

By Jim Mynard
CASEY Council has called for a report on the controversial winter closure of Boundary Road, Narre Warren East.
Gates were placed across the road that is defined by Casey Council as a fire track, but is also the boundary between Casey and the Shire of Yarra Ranges. The gate was to be padlocked open during the fire season.
Narre Warren East resident Ian Murphy objected to the closure and Four Oaks Ward councillor Paul Richardson asked during the Tuesday 23 January council meeting that council have the gates removed.
Mr Murphy said Casey Council did not follow correct protocol between the two municipalities when it installed the gates.
Cr Richardson asked by what authority the gates had been erected.
Casey manager of works and operations Alex Micheli said he authorised the work after consultation with the Shire of Yarra Ranges.
Cr Richardson then presented a letter, dated Tuesday 23 January, from Yarra Ranges director of environment and engineering, Simon Thomas to Casey director of infrastructure Ray Butler, asking to establish the reasons and process by which the gates were installed.
Cr Richardson said Yarra Ranges sent the letter to Mr Butler and wanted a please explain, but Mr Butler said he had not yet received the letter.
Cr Richardson warned the council that if it would not discuss the issue he would take it to a higher authority because Yarra Ranges said there had been no consultation with Casey about the gates.
“This has been a complete stuff up.”
Cr Beardon: “Can we leave the gates open?”
Mr Butler said the gates were locked open and had been locked closed for only one day while concrete around the posts was setting.
However, they are meant to be closed during winter.
Mr Micheli said Boundary Road was not a declared road and could be closed to prevent harm and provide safety to people.
“The road floods and the gates were installed to keep it consistent with other fire tracks.”
Edrington Ward councillor Mick Morland said the council was going around in circles over the issue and successfully asked for a full report on the matter.
He said Mr Butler had not received the letter written on the day of the meeting and made available to Cr Richardson before it was posted.
“We need all the information we can get and consultation with the Shire of Yarra Ranges on this,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Bakers sit in the box seat

Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against ladder...
More News

Bloods’ depth does damage

Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) round 13 top...

Cranny avoids the drop

CRANBOURNE BOWLS Valentine’s Day saw the last round of Weekend Pennant Bowls played as next week the finals begin. On a beautiful Saturday to play...

First day of Yakkerboo delights crowds

The Yakkerboo Festival kicked off in perfect weather on Saturday with fireworks the main highlight of the day. Food trucks, roaming performers, live music and...

Former Casey Mayor diagnosed with MND

Ex two-time Casey Mayor and VFL footballer Geoff Ablett has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND), prompting his family to launch a fundraising...

Roadworks cause havoc for Casey commuters

Roadworks on a major Clyde North intersection has caused gridlock during peak hours for many Casey commuters, some saying that their typical 10-minute commute...

State Government promises new emergency facilities for Casey Hospital

With the official plans for the expansion of Casey’s emergency department debuted, the state government is progressing on its $280 million project, with Icon...

Aged care security breached

Millhaven Lodge, a residential aged care facility in Pakenham, has updated security codes and restricted access points after a series of breaches that compromised...

Garlic Festival showcase

The South Gippsland Garlic Festival - Victoria’s biggest celebration of Australian garlic - is back for its second year at Korumburra Showgrounds on Saturday...

Parks Victoria launches major statewide recruitment drive

The search is on for Victoria's next generation of rangers, with outdoor enthusiasts encouraged to apply for one of 62 new roles across the...

2026 duck season bag limit

The Victorian Government has set a daily bag limit of nine ducks per hunter for the 2026 duck hunting season. The season length, as set...