Teenager’s plea for the future

Daniel Bonney has written to Steve Bracks to express his concern about the controversial plan to cut a new freight link through Cardinia Shire.Daniel Bonney has written to Steve Bracks to express his concern about the controversial plan to cut a new freight link through Cardinia Shire.

Paul Dunlop
A BOY’S fear for the future if a controversial proposal to cut a new freight link through Cardinia Shire goes ahead has prompted him to take the issue up with Premier Steve Bracks.
Daniel Bonney, 13, added his voice to residents lobbying against the proposal to connect Gippsland with the Port of Hastings in a letter to the Victorian Premier.
Daniel wrote to Mr Bracks last week saying the plan, currently up for discussion, was ridiculous.
“If this goes ahead it will not wreck my life, my family’s life and the communities of Clyde and Cardinia, but it will wreck the environment,” he said.
Daniel attends Kooweerup Secondary College and joined his parents at a rally on Sunday to protest against the proposal.
Residents fear the proposed rail line could result in compulsory acquisition of residential and farm land from Pakenham to Pearcedale, including properties along Ballarto, Clyde and the BaxterTooradin roads.
Hundreds of people turned up to the rally, which started in Cardinia township and joined other similar rallies in Hastings.
Port of Hastings chief executive Ralph Kenyon has denied claims that residents had been kept in the dark.
Mr Kenyon said the proposal remained “in the very early stages of consultation”.
He said the draft strategy was the Port of Hastings’ response to the State Government’s ports policy – the Victorian Ports Strategic Framework – which identified Hastings as the preferred site for the future development of containerhandling facilities to complement container facilities at the Port of Melbourne.
“We anticipate the Port of Hastings will eventually be needed to help Victoria deal with continuing rapid trade growth beyond 2030,” Mr Kenyon said.
“It is important that we plan now to identify the necessary land and transport access options to be preserved to allow for the establishment of container handling facilities at Hastings in the future.”
Daniel said he had not yet heard back from Mr Bracks but was hoping his message would be heard.
“It is not just our house that is being threatened here, but our home,” he said.