Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteSexpansion bid goes to planning appeal

Sexpansion bid goes to planning appeal

By Paul Dunlop
A BID to open another sex shop in Pakenham is headed for the state planning tribunal.
Sextastic Adult Variety Stores has lodged an application for review with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) against Cardinia Shire Council’s refusal to grant a planning permit for a shop in Michael Street.
Councillors said the proposal was too close to future residential development.
But Sextastic managing director Jodie Gowans said she was disappointed with the council’s attitude.
“We did everything asked of us by council regarding a suitable site that meets the planning criteria,” Mrs Gowans said.
“The community support has been fantastic and we have built up a very strong customer base from Pakenham over the past three years.”
Mrs Gowans said Sextastic had been successful at VCAT in the past with its Hallam store fighting the City of Casey in 2002.
She said Sextastic had plans to expand throughout Australia and New Zealand, and Pakenham was the first step in the “battle of expansion”.
When the council refused a permit at a meeting in July, a town planners’ report said the Sextastic proposal generally complied with planning regulations but land about 180 metres to the north was identified for future housing.
An adult bookshop is not allowed within 200 metres of a residential area.
Councillors agreed with officers’ recommendation that the application be refused.
“This is totally inappropriate for this area of Pakenham,” Cr Brett Owen said.
“We need to look to the future and consider what is proposed very close to this business.”
Cr Ed Chatwin also voted against the application on moral grounds. He said adult bookshops went “to the dark side of the human psyche”.
“I find it objectionable and I object,” Cr Chatwin said.
VCAT will hear the application for review in the next few months.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Bakers sit in the box seat

Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against ladder...
More News

Bloods’ depth does damage

Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) round 13 top...

Cranny avoids the drop

CRANBOURNE BOWLS Valentine’s Day saw the last round of Weekend Pennant Bowls played as next week the finals begin. On a beautiful Saturday to play...

First day of Yakkerboo delights crowds

The Yakkerboo Festival kicked off in perfect weather on Saturday with fireworks the main highlight of the day. Food trucks, roaming performers, live music and...

Former Casey Mayor diagnosed with MND

Ex two-time Casey Mayor and VFL footballer Geoff Ablett has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND), prompting his family to launch a fundraising...

Roadworks cause havoc for Casey commuters

Roadworks on a major Clyde North intersection has caused gridlock during peak hours for many Casey commuters, some saying that their typical 10-minute commute...

State Government promises new emergency facilities for Casey Hospital

With the official plans for the expansion of Casey’s emergency department debuted, the state government is progressing on its $280 million project, with Icon...

Aged care security breached

Millhaven Lodge, a residential aged care facility in Pakenham, has updated security codes and restricted access points after a series of breaches that compromised...

Garlic Festival showcase

The South Gippsland Garlic Festival - Victoria’s biggest celebration of Australian garlic - is back for its second year at Korumburra Showgrounds on Saturday...

Parks Victoria launches major statewide recruitment drive

The search is on for Victoria's next generation of rangers, with outdoor enthusiasts encouraged to apply for one of 62 new roles across the...

2026 duck season bag limit

The Victorian Government has set a daily bag limit of nine ducks per hunter for the 2026 duck hunting season. The season length, as set...