Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteQuarry blast!

Quarry blast!

By Paul Dunlop
TWO Cardinia councillors have blasted Planning Minister Rob Hulls’ support for a 20hectare expansion of a Pakenham quarry.
Cr Ed Chatwin said the expansion would result in “economic and environmental buggery”.
Mr Hulls has recommended that the Readymix quarry be extended on the provision that the traditional custodians of the land, the Wurundjeri tribe, approve a ‘consent to disturb’ motion.
Cr Chatwin and colleague Kate Lempriere criticised the minister’s decision at a recent Cardinia town planning meeting, with the former accused the minister of making a gross error of judgment.
“I don’t think Mr Hulls has any idea what he is doing to this beautiful valley,” Cr Chatwin said.
Cr Lempriere said she was sorry for the minister’s stance.
“I offer my condolences to the people of the Toomuc Valley. I would like to have seen the whole thing knocked back,” Cr Lempriere said.
Cr Bill Pearson said he was concerned about the operation of quarries in the local area, not just in the Toomuc Valley and said stricter conditions were needed.
“I would like to flag that when it comes time to put on conditions we must be very strict. For too long we have tended to roll over and have our tummies massaged,” Cr Pearson said.
The Minister’s decision followed an Environmental Effects Statement for the quarry proposal.
The EES evaluated several aspects of the quarry extension, including the impact on local wildlife and land stability, before recommending that it be approved subject to conditions.
Claire Miller, spokeswoman for Mr Hulls, told the Gazette that the minister had recommended extending the quarry, but would not be issuing a planning permit until Readymix received consent from the Wurundjeri people.
The Wurundjeri were said last week to be still considering their position.
Extending the hard rock quarry in Mt Shamrock Road would allow a further 20 million tonnes of basalt to be extracted over the next 20 years.
Readymix officials welcomed the Minister’s decision but it was met with dismay by residents living around the quarry in the Toomuc Valley.
Save the Valley group chairman Neville Bassett said it was pig headed and took a shortsighted view of the issue.
Readymix quarry planning and development manager Leigh Street said Readymix would work closely with the Wurundjeri Land Council.
“The EES process is a very rigorous assessment of the potential environmental impacts and the EES panel and the Minister believe the quarry extension could proceed in an environmentallyacceptable manner,” Mr Street said.
He said the quarry extension would be a great economic boost for the region.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Former Casey Mayor diagnosed with MND

Ex two-time Casey Mayor and VFL footballer Geoff Ablett has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND), prompting his family to launch a fundraising...
More News

State Government promises new emergency facilities for Casey Hospital

With the official plans for the expansion of Casey’s emergency department debuted, the state government is progressing on its $280 million project, with Icon...

Aged care security breached

Millhaven Lodge, a residential aged care facility in Pakenham, has updated security codes and restricted access points after a series of breaches that compromised...

Garlic Festival showcase

The South Gippsland Garlic Festival - Victoria’s biggest celebration of Australian garlic - is back for its second year at Korumburra Showgrounds on Saturday...

Parks Victoria launches major statewide recruitment drive

The search is on for Victoria's next generation of rangers, with outdoor enthusiasts encouraged to apply for one of 62 new roles across the...

2026 duck season bag limit

The Victorian Government has set a daily bag limit of nine ducks per hunter for the 2026 duck hunting season. The season length, as set...

Volunteers transform historic grounds

Around 30 volunteers rolled up their sleeves on Wednesday, 28 January, for the 61st Annual Berwick Cemetery Clean Up. Rotarians, Berwick and Harkaway Cemetery...

Calls for more foster parents as crisis mounts in Victoria

Lynn, a Casey local, stumbled on a television commercial about foster care at 65 years old, peaking her interest, the Tongan-born mother of five,...

Children’s ‘innocent’ ribbons and signs vandalised at Berwick Springs Lake

Ribbons made by children at Berwick Springs Lake, now named Guru Nanak Lake, were vandalised earlier this year promoting disappointment from a community group. Children’s ribbons...

Fourth attack in weeks rocks Heritage Church

Still reeling from earlier vandalism and attempted break-ins, Lang Lang’s St John’s Anglican Church has been hit for a fourth time, despite increased patrols. It...

People in Profile: Ensuring days end with a smile

From Officer City Soccer Club to Yakkerboo, Pakenham’s Brijal Parikh does it all, and he does it just to put smiles on faces. Gazette...