Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteOld Coach House in danger

Old Coach House in danger

By Jim Mynard
VANDALISM has put the historic and treasured Old Coach House at Kenilworth Avenue, Beaconsfield, at risk of demolition.
The heritage listed coach house is on a parcel of land that is being developed as housing blocks.
Residents said it was left unprotected despite a Section 173 agreement on the development permit that said that it was to be retained in its present order.
The developer has now applied to the Shire of Cardinia to demolish the building because of the damage but Cardinia Shire’s manager of governance and communication, Doug Evans, said no decision had been made on the application.
Gembrook MP Tammy Lobato joined residents at a protest meeting on Sunday 17 December that demanded that the building be restored.
Ms Lobato said she fully supported residents’ action in starting a campaign to ensure the building’s preservation.
She said it was vital that the council acted to save the Old Coach House.
“It is extremely disappointing that the development has placed this building at risk.
“Council officers condemned the building because of the vandalism and the developer subsequently applied for a demolition permit.
“I will stand with residents to fight this demolition,” she said.
Ms Lobato said the building represented a unique piece of Beaconsfield history because during the early 1900s it was used as a laundry for the nearby Berry Street Foundling Home.
“Since the foundling home was demolished, this coach house is the only remaining building to mark that important chapter of history.
“It was distressing on my visit to the location to see stained glass that was originally part of the mansion and later placed in the coach house, lying in disrepair on the ground.
“I already have in my electorate an example of a building that was considered beyond repair in the Warburton Mechanics Institute.
“Thanks to funding support from both the Bracks Government and the Shire of Yarra Ranges, as well as massive support from the community, that building has been restored.”
She said remnants of the stained glass windows had been salvaged from the coach house on Sunday and would serve as a symbol of the work ahead.
“These windows mark just the first step in our efforts to save this building.
“This coach house was included in the Cardinia embroidery project as a permanent record of heritage.
“It is ironic, that while we are celebrating this building by including it in the embroidery project, its demolition is being seriously contemplated.
“Demolition is not the right outcome and would be devastating to residents,” she said.
Mr Evans said the developer on Thursday 16 November was asked to show cause on why the building should not be made secure and either repaired to be suitable for occupation or demolished.
“The council then on Monday 27 November received an application to demolish the building.
“No decision has been made on this application,” he said.
Mr Evans said that on Friday 15 December the applicant agreed to place a protective fence around the building.
This was done on Monday morning.
Star was unable to contact the developers.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months. Earlier this...
More News

Another successful fest of Upper Beaconsfield

The Upper Beaconsfield Village Festival celebrated another year of community spirit and friendly competition. Held in perfect sunny weather on Sunday, the festival transformed the...

Cockatoo ground lights up

Mountain Road Recreation Reserve in Cockatoo celebrated its bright future with the completion of its new 100lux LED lighting upgrade on Tuesday morning, 11...

Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with...

PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He...

Pakenham Senior Citizens welcome Chinese New Year

Pakenham has welcomed Chinese New Year, with initial celebrations beginning at the senior citizens club, where a special talk was held about the festive...

Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of...

No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous...

CFA’s Good Friday appeal hits 75 years

CFA’s long and proud history of involvement with the Good Friday Appeal will reach a remarkable 75 years this year, while the Appeal will...

A glimpse back through the archives

50 years to 1976 The clock was turned back more than 100 years at the Police Paddocks in Rowville when, as a salute to the...

Council joins local government rubbish rebellion by delaying introduction of $3 million glass-only bin

Cardinia Shire Council continues to delay its implementation of the new purple bin, joining a local government pushback against the glass waste service, which...