Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteEvacuation that wasn’t

Evacuation that wasn’t

By Melissa Meehan
LABERTOUCHE and Tonimbuk could have been evacuated on Black Saturday if the new bushfire warning system had been in place.
Speaking at the Bushfires Royal Commission last week, Bunyip incident controller Dave Nugent said officials were now seriously considering evacuation after the fires that devastated the state.
Mr Nugent, who has worked for the Department of Sustainability and Environment for more than 23 years, said all incident controllers were looking forward with interest.
“The issue of relocation is going to be a very complex one,” Mr Nugent said.
He said while working to control the fires in the weeks surrounding 7 February, incident controllers were also aware of the potential danger to residents who decided to stay.
“So the potential advice about relocation may well have been applicable to some communities in this area,” he said.
But he rejected suggestions from the commission that officials should have used simpler language in warnings issued on 6 February.
The inquiry asked whether warnings such as “The Bunyip Ridge bushfire is currently burning in the state park, 123 hectares” and “This fire is not currently posing a threat to communities, but extreme fire danger weather is forecast for the coming days and is likely to directly impact on Labertouche” were clear enough and sent a strong enough message to residents in those areas.
Other towns were advised they should also be prepared for smoke, falling embers and possibly fire on 7 February.
It was also asked whether it would have been more accurate to issue warnings that said, “We hope to hold the fire in the state park. If it escapes the park, it will burn in all likelihood through Labertouche, Tonimbuk, Jindivick, Bunyip, and Drouin West.”
But Mr Nugent said the aim of incident controllers was to “give those communities as realistic a level of information about the situation and what they needed to do as possible”.
“We used the term ‘likely to directly impact on the community’,” he said.
“You may debate that other language may have given a clearer message, but from our point of view that was the message that we were trying to convey to those people – that we were actively at this stage right up until the morning of Saturday the 7th trying to contain that fire.”
He said he and his colleagues tried to ensure that communities prepared themselves and were being realistic about giving them the message about what might happen on that day.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

More News

Road to 2026: conversation with Casey Mayor on State Election advocacy

With the State Election looming, Casey Council is ramping up a transport-focused advocacy campaign, pushing major projects including the Clyde rail extension, Thompsons Road...

Critical nursery in need of a home

A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the region’s unique...

Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for the...

Experience the magic of working dogs

The Berwick Show proudly welcomes Jack Briscoe and his extraordinary team of working dogs! Watch in awe as Jack demonstrates their skill, agility, and...

Planning Amendment approved despite fears it could hurt Cardinia farmers

Cardinia Shire Council has fast-tracked a planning scheme amendment to fix errors and update zoning rules, but some councillors warn the changes could add...

Council demands answers over stalled fire escape bridge near Gembrook

Cardinia Shire councillors have united to demand urgent repairs to a closed bridge near Gembrook, warning the prolonged delay could put lives at risk...

Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The...

Galloping into a New Year with style

Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More than 80...

No prosecutions over forklift driver’s

A state coroner has found the death of a Kooweerup man operating a failing forklift in Dandenong South in 2022 was “preventable”, yet there...

Viral bus stop shame

A viral image from Officer, has put a spotlight on the strain facing Australia’s rapidly growing suburbs. The image, published on Reddit, shows a group...