Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteFamily's firebomb scares

Family’s firebomb scares

By Danielle Galvin
IT was a dramatic few days before Christmas, with one firebomb detonated and two others found in Pakenham.
About 2.22am on Tuesday 20 December, a firebomb exploded at the Lakeside home of the Davis family, starting a fire attended by emergency services.
Later that morning, two unexploded firebombs were found at the front and side of a Pakenham florist.
Pakenham police believe the bomb scares may have been a misguided revenge attack on the Kids Outdoors business, which went into receivership the week before Christmas.
Parents who had ordered cubbyhouses for their little ones were devastated to find out that the business had gone bankrupt.
The unknowing Davis family moved into the Lakeside home in late November, and were none the wiser that the former occupants were the owners of the now-defunct Pakenham Kids Outdoors.
“We didn’t know the (previous) owners, we found out after we bought it. Since then we’ve had quite a few visitors,” he said.
Mr Davis said he wanted people to know that he was not involved with the owners of Kids Outdoors. He contacted the police after a number of late-night visits to his new home.
“We’ve got little kids, we don’t want them woken up at 3am. The police told us it could get worse,” he said.
Pakenham police urged residents not to take matters into their own hands and said it was lucky police were in the area at the time of the house fire.
“The flames were rising very quickly and police used a fire extinguisher and garden hose to put out the fire. A short while later the CFA arrived,” Senior Sergeant Graeme Higginbotham said.
“No one was injured and the two occupants were safely removed, but this could have been very dangerous and potentially life-threatening.”
The area around the florist was cordoned off late on Tuesday morning as the bomb squad removed the two firebombs.
Acting Sergeant Bob Merlino was at the scene and said the bomb squad was called as a precaution. “Police have been here since 10am,” he said.
Police are investigating if the incidents are linked.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals...

When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a matchup with...
More News

Yakkerboo excites in 50th year

Yakkerboo was welcomed into its 50th year with another successful celebration, bigger than ever. Drawing families and visitors for a weekend of celebration, and held...

Noble falls short and drops crucial points in race to finals

A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in round...

Wilson remembered across Gippy region

The Pakenham Football Club mourns the loss of past premiership player and coach Trevor Wilson, who passed away peacefully on Saturday. A decorated footballer, Trevor...

Who wants fourth spot?

The ladder in the Warragul and District Cricket Association (WDCA) Division 1 competition could not be any closer as the fight for fourth spot...

Masters get on the board

PREMIER FIRSTS It was a Thursday night thriller that had everything — big hits, momentum swings and a finish that kept supporters on the edge...

Clyde up for the challenge

A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde go back-and-forth on day one in...

Akin’s day to remember

The Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 3 match between Narre North and St Mary’s was meant to be one of those games, a...

Momentum keeps rolling for South West Gippy bowls

SOUTH WEST GIPPSLAND BOWLS The massive numbers keep rolling in for the South West Gippsland bowls as it was a pleasure to see 54 bowlers...

Rising star Jeffrey shows class at Drouin Championships

DROUIN LADIES Last week the Drouin Women contested the second round of the 2026 Club Championships, which is a stroke event over three rounds of...

Bradshaw brings it home

DROUIN GOLF WEDNESDAY A massive field of 118 players competed in the midweek Stableford event. Vic Bradshaw led A Grade with a superb 41 points,...